Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Scriptures, the ever flowing fountain of Knowledge and Answers!!

Can I just say I really really love reading the scriptures!!  Confession, I dont do it near as often as I should which is so ironic since when I do read, I always have something that sticks out and affects me and I take into my heart and little by little it helps me become more of a better person and more towards the mother, wife, daughter, friend, ect that I hope to be.   So why do I not make more time to read???   Well I have been trying a new approach.  As those of you who know me, know that I have two beautiful wonderful daughters who just complete me and fill my life with meaning and happiness beyond anything I could imagine or hope for!  Those of you also know that my two daughters are very different from eachother.   Abby is all girl and so sensitive and caring and wears her heart on her sleeve, and Maylee is stocky and loud hates dresses and bows but loves hats, and just full of games and laughter and loves to tease and is so daring and laughs at everything even when she is in trouble.   They are so fun, but with such different personalities, what works for one girl does not work for another and how do I know the correct way to teach my girls the things they need to know that are neccessary for their growth and their future?

Well the only thing I could think of was go to the gospel resources for help cause noone knows better then our Heavenly Father what the needs of our children our.   As I was at the store oneday shopping for something else,  I came across a book that was just what I was looking for  "What the scriputres teach us about Raising a child"  - by S. Michael Wilcox.  I was instantly excited purchased this book came home and within the first few pages I felt like this book was wrote to answer every single question and worry I have had. . .. I love it!!!!  These are some of my favorite quotes that I have read so far. . . . .

Okay first of all this is the intro and the author is talking about where we can find the most answers. . . . .
"I can say without hesitation that among all the book and articles I have read over the years about raising a child, none has proved as valuable as the scriptures.  They carry an authority and a convincing spirit even the most skilled and learned advisors do not.  They provide examples and plainspoken admonition.  They hold within their pages the wisdom of six thousand years and, therefore, are to a great degree immune from the trends adn societal experimentation of a changing world.  It is suprising how much one can find within their pages when we approach them with the single objective in mind of raising children.  , , , , The scriptures are inexhaustible, and no one has mastered them except the Master himself, though he has promised he will guide the least of us through them if we ask.  May these thoughts generate an interest and a curiosity in you to search the Lord's word for encouragment and revelation to bless you in your parenting, the most intensly critical-and magnificently fulfilling- of all vocations.  May you have the comfort - as you experience all the frustrations, apprehensions, and anxieties, as well as the elations, delights, and joys of being a mother or father - that the Savior himself lovingly spoke of your calling:
"And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he has taken him in his arms he said unto them, Whoesoever shall receive one of such children, in my name, receiveth me, and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me" (Mark 9:36-37) 
"Having a child in our home may be the closest thing to having the Father and Son themselves within our walls."

I love that, and it is so true, how many times can we read the scriptures over and over the same verse over and over and each time we learn something new depending on our situation.  The thing I love most about this is these children are so precious and good and truley a gift of love from our our father in heaven and what a responsibility we as parents have to care for, nurture, protect, and teach and love unconditionally as our Father in Heaven does.  We can not do it alone, we do not have all the answers and when we think we do, we are wrong and will be quickly humbled.  I believe the only way to truley suceed in raising righteous children who love the lord and want to do good, is to constantly be on our knees asking and listening for our Heavenly Fathers guidance, and studying the scriptures, which provide so many answers to our prayers.  I believe with that hope and faith and diligence, with the guidance of Heavenly Father, then no matter how hard the advesary tries, he can not prevail over us and our attempt to rightously teach and raise our children.  I do realize though that when our children our old enough to act for themselves, which they must, then we can not take that free agency away from them, Hopefully they will not fall into the temptation of the World, but sadly we know that  some will stray and struggle and go down the wrong path, but in those cases we can only pray that the roots of the gospel we planted within in will oneday bring them back home.   I am so grateful for the gospel.  I can not imagine going through life, especially while raising two sweet innocent and lovely daughters in this world and not being overcome withe fear and confusion.  The gospel is what gives me hope, the gospel of Jesus Christ is what gives me a sure foundation and comfort in knowing that when the winds and storms of the advesary come, it will not beat me and my family down and tear us apart, cause the gospel of Jesus Christ is what holds us together and allows us to overcome and prevail anything so long as we are worthy and have the faith to do so!

Here is another quote that I love, which i still in the intro. . . . . .
"We have seen decline and decay in countless civilizations that, in time removed themselves from the land through self-destructive practices.  What bring staying power? How can nations grow, flourish, and remain?

"I believe that asnwer lies in that brief promise sounded through the thunder of Sinai. In the family!!  In the mutual respect and love of mother and father, parent and child1  The child who learns courtesy, consideration, respect, civility, selflessness, control, and industry in a home will take those qualities into his or her wider world.  Our culture will survive only if the roots of permanent and lasting human relationships are fostered, nurtured, and refined in the home of its people. . . . . . When a child learns the fundamental lessons of human interdependence in the family, he or she will know how to transfer those lessons to a more extensive milieu.  Here is the hope and the help so many search for but fail to find.  If we would bless and heal our society, our gaze need reach no farther than our own walls.  What kind of people will we send into the broader world from the moral schoolhouse of our homes?"

I love this quote I believe it is so so true.  So many blame the leaders of our country and goverement for a falling and decaying society, but few look inward and see where they can make a difference.  What are we doing in the home?   What are we teaching our children??  And those who do not have children yet or are unable to, I am sure that you have some role or teacher experience invovling children, whether a school teacher, a aunt, a sister, a neighbor, a teacher in anyway, (dance, sports, music, church calling,) all of these roles have a significant impact on children?   What type of example and lessons are you leaving behind??  What are we doing with our time while in the home??  Are we spending the time watching T.V., being on the computer or whatever media objects?  Or are we taking the time to play, to teach, to listen to, to spend qualitiy time with our children?  18 years of their life does not seem like time enough to teach them all they need to know so when they go our on their own and start their own life, they will have enough foundation and knowledge and testimony to succeed!  Time is so short and we need not waste it!

One last quote I will share with you which is in Chapter one called ( The Divine Apprenticeship)

"Godhood is parenthood of a grand magnitude, but before we can progress to that degree of glory, we are given the opportunity to learn here on earth the essential principles of parenthood.  . . . . . . When we feel the jopys, the quiet satisfactions, or the pleasing compensations of a father or a mother, we enter in a minute degree into the mind and heart of God.  When we experience the pains, the dissappointments, and the sometimes crushing sorrows of those same roles, we also comprehend the sould of Deity.  There is no school for developing character nor for attaining the attributes and perfections of godliness like raising a child.  There is no accomplishment which will require greater dedication, intellect, and the refined emptions of the soul than to raise a child to dignity, independence, and holiness in a decadent and fallen world.  . . . . . . . . In the lifht of these overewhelming possiblites both for ourselves and our children, it would not be suprising to believe, even to expect that the Eternal Father would have some counsel to offer us regarding our roles as fathers and mothers.. . . . . . . . . .we would be less than astute if we did not also seek to use the Lords manual, his handbook, for he is the Father of fathers, and not amount of earthly understanding can equal what he could suggest to anxious parents desiring to be wise.. . . . . . . . . .. Where is the apprectice's manual, the hand-on, do -it-yourself instructions?  As in so many varied ares of life, the scriptures are sufficient for our needs, and we can discover rather quickely how much counsel they offer when we read them searchingly with a parents mind.  With godly perception the Lord has inspired the writers and compilers of sacred writ to include within those pages stories, examples, and instructions necessary to give us direction.  With that focuse comes a calming influence the scriptures uniquely supply to enable us under the direction of the Holy Spirit, to apply those lessons to our own families with their varied challenges and personalities.  It is to the scriptures we can and should turn in this most critical of mortal apprencticeships."


Okay those are my thoughts and favorite quotes that I wanted to share, cause they have been the answers to my questions and the calm to my worry. . . . I hope they can help some of you as well.

Much Love. . . Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment